May 28, 2024
Aviation Business

Saab and Boeing sign pact for 787 Dreamliner doors’ range

787 Dreamliner is one of the world’s best-selling widebody aircraft

Saab, the Stockholm, Sweden-headquartered global defence and space manufacturing company, has signed an extension agreement with Boeing, the Seattle, US-based global aerospace, security, and spacecraft maker, to manufacture large cargo doors, bulk cargo doors and access entries for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft.

Like many other major 787 structures, the doors will be made of composite materials.

A range of systems are built into the doors’ composite structures, providing Boeing with lightweight doors that are easy to install.

Extended agreement

The agreement extends Saab’s contract with Boeing in 2004 for the 787 Dreamliner programme.

Saab has delivered more than 1,100 chipsets for the Boeing 787 Dreamliner programme.

Saab designs manufactures, and maintains advanced systems in aeronautics, weapons, command and control, sensors, and underwater systems.

Lars Tossman, head of Saab’s aeronautics business, said: “With this contract extension, we continue to be a proud partner to Boeing on the victorious 787 programme, one of the world’s best-selling widebody aircraft.

“It strengthens our good and long relationship with Boeing and enhances our cooperation, both on commercial aerostructures and the T-7A trainer on the defence side,” Tossman added.

Employing some 19,000 people, Saab has a long experience in supplying significant aerostructures for military and commercial aircraft programmes worldwide.

Saab in UAE

Although headquartered in Sweden, the company has primary operations worldwide and is part of the domestic defence capability of several nations, including the UAE.

In 2018, the company set up Saab Ltd, a wholly Saab-owned company based in Abu Dhabi.

The Saab Ltd facility in Abu Dhabi’s Tawazun Industrial Park is a centre for developing and producing various defence and security products for the UAE and other countries.

The company also operates in the UAE market as Saab Middle East, in association with the UAE-based Gulf Air Space Co (GACO), where GACO owns 51% and Saab the remaining 49%.

The company is exhibiting at the 2023 Defence Security and Equipment International exhibition in London, England, from September 12-15, 2023, where the company is showcasing the new deployment set configuration for its Giraffe 1X military radar system.

    Arnold Pinto

    Arnold Pinto

    Arnold Pinto is an award-winning journalist with wide-ranging Middle East and Asia experience in the tech, aerospace, defence, luxury watchmaking, business, automotive, and fashion verticals. He is passionate about conserving endangered native wildlife globally. Arnold enjoys 4x4 off-roading, camping and exploring global destinations off the beaten track.
    Follow Me:

    Related Posts

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *